A weird week
Its been a weird week. I’ve experienced unfairness on a high level on the Entrecard system which I loved so much, and worse ; seeing good fellow bloggers getting tougher unfair treatment. Everyone who knows me knows me as a kind and quiet person. Not utterly silent but you know – I am not the one who is the loud one. But – when it comes to unfairness I go from quiet to something that even I can’t describe – I burst into weird reactions that I don’t know what was, maybe not until a few days later.
I’ve participated in a trial at our local court as an assisting judge, lets just say that the trial were tough to be a part of – out world we live in can be sick. Somehow the trial helped me to put things in perspective and that day I forgot all about the Entrecard incidents.
I’m not going into details because leaders of Entrecard manage to put what they stand for on display by its actions themselves these days. I hope they will eventually get it and correct it.
If I were to start a forum, I would search for tips and documentation on how to run a forum. Not necessary technology wise but how to interact with the users of the system. Without users there is no point running a forum is it?
I am not a forum guru but after a bit research (1 hour) – something every forum admin should do I came up with this starting list.
– First ; do you really want to do this or should you outsource it? Its a lot of work the first few weeks.
– Do you need a forum?
– Treat people with respect from day 1, this will decrease noise.
– Remember that you have members from the whole planet, not only your city.
– Having members from the whole world means you have all types of humans, cultures, understandings, religions. Remember this.
– Help new members, create a welcome-routine with FAQ and links to rules
– Make rules before you install your forum.
– Send rules to buddies and ask them if they would join a forum with such rules
– Don’t leave a question stand unanswered. If impossible answer the post and explain why.
– Make them feel welcome, so welcome that they want to live in your forum.
– If you need to update the rules – do so but inform the users and why it was neccesary.
– Be objective
– Take part in discussions
– Respect users privacy
– Use an antispam system
– Start with as few groups as possible. Let users vote for expanding.
– Start with a few moderators who know and understand the rules you’ve set.
– Write clear rules, no confusion.
– Enjoy your users
– Don’t edit users posts
– Don’t read users PM inbox
– Don’t make fun of your users
Have fun and solve intregues at once, don’t create secret campaigns against the users.