Spam status

Something weird happened in November, I got hit by a truckload of Spam-comments and I spent a lot of time checking them out. A lot of the spam were from Romania, a wave of ‘nice’ comments were dropped with an intense pase. I also receive a lot of adult comments with a bunch of links in tham.

I am so glad i have Akismet who caught this early and flagged a lot of European spammers. Some were incorrectly flagged as spam but that is easy to fix but it takes a lot of time to go through all the comments.

I guess both LinkLove and being on follow-lists has its good and bad sides.

Here is my status now :

7 thoughts on “Spam status

• 4 December 2008 at 16:30

I use bad behavior plugin with filters out 1000 visitors a week as well. You really do have a lot of spam. Here are my November stats

Spam detected-189
    Ham detected-222
    Missed spam-9
    False positives-4

• 4 December 2008 at 16:35

Hmm I wonder what I do wrong.. I have submitted my blog to a number of directories, that might be it?

• 5 December 2008 at 1:22

I’m getting a boat load of “I love the post on blah blah blah and would like to translate it into German. I will give you a link back” on my book review blog. Askimet has tagged every one of them as spam and I felt like it was correct after seeing 16 of them in a row for various posts and all with the same couple of addresses.

I also use bad behavior plugin on all of my blogs.

ê¿ê

Margaret’s last blog post..Podcasting for SEO

• 5 December 2008 at 6:56

Why dont you use anti spam filter. I am using peter-anti spam plugin which will generate a random characters as image and then the commentator of the blog will also have to fill it to submit the comment.

After i installed it. I am not getting spams.

Nihar’s last blog post..November 2008 Blog Traffic & Income statistics

• 5 December 2008 at 11:41

I thought it was enough with AKismet.. Maybe I should install bad behaviour as well and a challenge plugin.

• 9 December 2008 at 21:44

Akismet rocks. But every now and then I get a whole truckload of comments that make it past, but it is better than nothing. When I look at the history of spam that was blocked, I am very thankful.

Stephan Miller’s last blog post..Forget BANS Sites and Learn to Love Data