Oops we have a wasp nest

My better half found a wasp nest yesterday – it was well developed as it was hidden behind a wall, and our barbecue. Our kids play here a lot so we decided to buy some Permetrin and Pyretrin to get rid of it. This is how it looked:

I waited til the wasps fell to rest and sprayed the entrance, it became quite a chaos and listening to all the wasps in there was kind of frightening but some of them blocked the entrance and they couldn’t get out. I wish they built this in the forest instead, I don’t like to do this but we had to think about our kids’ safety.. Heres the aftermath:

Lots of the larvae were alive and about to hatch so we threw the nest on the fire to get rid of the rest. Icky!

6 thoughts on “Oops we have a wasp nest

• 26 June 2010 at 22:33

Det er godt dere ble kvitt de. Jeg ar overtatt ttp://blopp.no meld gjerne inn din blogg og møt andre bloggere.

• 27 June 2010 at 15:46

Hmm, I have never given it any thought that wasps would reside in other countries–especially as far north as you-all are. Whoa, that makes me sound really stupid–doesn’t it? Well, I suppose the shoe fits…this time.

• 30 June 2010 at 9:23

Hi FishHawk its good to see you! I don’t think it makes you sound stupid – its a side effect which is our (Norwegians) fault because we try make people believe that we got polar bears walking about everywhere. 🙂

• 28 June 2010 at 3:10

These Paper wasps fester by building their nests inside junk rooms. They can be warded off only by smoking fire shown near the nests from a burning oiled waste cloth!

• 29 June 2010 at 23:17

hey Øyvind,
    That is one big wasp nest!
    I agree with you. It’s not fun to get destroy their nest and kill them, but just like you, when I find wasp nests outside the house, I get rid of them… for the kid’s (and my) safety. I’ve just never seen one quite that big. Steve

• 30 June 2010 at 9:18

Hi Steve, thanks! I was worried I’d have a swarm of animal protectors yelling at me. I’m allergic to most insect bites so we were worried about our little one. If she got the same allergy as I do I don’t want to risk anything.