Decades with ash-trouble

Thor Thordarson, a vulcano researcher prepares us for decades of ash-trouble. Its incredible to see how dependent we’ve become of the air-traffic. What will happen the day Katla awakens and we can’t use airplanes for weeks, or months?

I follow vedur.is every day and jumps in my chair each time I see red dots around Katla, I’m thinking “Now its happening” but then the dots vanish. But one day…

In Norway we have an old train-system – people want the fastest route so people choose air and not train – will this change?

5 thoughts on “Decades with ash-trouble

• 16 May 2010 at 17:11

Ingen politiker kommer noensinne til å bruke verken penger eller politisk prestisje på å sikre oss mot naturkatastrofer. Det er ikke politisk lønnsomt, folk stemmer ikke for politikere med slike ideer.

Vårt politiske system oppfordrer ikke til fornuft, men til populisme, løgnaktighet og propagandaspredning for personlig vinning.

• 17 May 2010 at 21:01

Det er ganske tragisk, er helt enig med deg om at de er mer opptatt av hva folk synes om dem i enkelte kretser fremfor landets og våre etterkommeres beste.

• 18 May 2010 at 9:00

Some of the U.K.’s internal flights are cheaper than catching the train! My friend got delayed in Thailand a few weeks ago and couldn’t get home for 9 days. Now it looks like he’s delayed in Spain 🙁
    .-= John´s last blog ..Winnats Pass =-.

• 23 May 2010 at 16:42

I agree with John. I am flying to Edinburgh in August as the train is too expensive. On the other hand, it is quicker, door to door, to catch the Eurostar to Paris than it would be for me to fly.
    .-= Emm´s last blog ..Pizza Express Spring Social =-.

• 23 May 2010 at 19:54

Its expencive in Norway as well, but the routes are slow. I wish we had highspeed trains here. Flights from Bergen to Oslo takes 40 minutes, half an hour drive and an hour waiting. It takes about 7 hours with train..